Sunday, December 13, 2009

It's science fair time again....

Those words invoke fear into my heart, not so much because I have to organize the whole thing for school, but rather that I have to listen to the whining of my children as I shoot down one irrational idea after another.  Sure, I do hot lunch, but I also do science.  I can't stand bad science.  So, my daughter is excited to see if the blind spot changes with age and is shot down with the question, "And HOW will this improve the world?"  Hey, we all have blind spot, but our brain fills in the missing data, so really no point in studying it.  Dang.  My mom never was this harsh.  If I said I was building a nuclear warhead, she'd nod patiently and add, "Don't make a mess."  Of course, I never did build the warhead.  Instead I threw something together about candles creating more carbon than flashlights the night before the fair.  And no, I never did with the science fair. 

On the plus side, my kids all understood why Al Gore was an idiot undeserving of any prize, other than "Most Able to Hype."  They at least understand how to set up a controlled experiment, how to read data without putting your own personal spin on it.  I should really write a letter to Al's mom... 

I want good science. So my children (and my students) are stuck with a mom and teacher who refuses to allow them to compare Duracells to Evereadys, see which tastes better, or if blind spots are affected by age.  Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment