Sunday, November 15, 2009

So we went to a Daughtry concert last night...

Actually we went to see Theory of a Deadman and CAVO was the opening act. CAVO was great; the lead singer has an amazing voice. Their entire set was super, I was really surprised, since I really like rock, and I was expecting their songs to be more, I guess pop? But they were awesome, and the lead singer can belt it out, not Freddy Mercury, but his own style which really rocks. We were all psyched up for Theory of a Deadman. It was disappointing, however. Apparently the lead singer is a relative of mine on the Doyle side, following our motto if you don’t sing well, sing loud. So I should have figured when they wheeled out the ridiculously huge speakers, this being after CAVO completed their set that something was up. In their tribute to Nigel Tufnel they had the sound cranked up to eleven. Even with my ear plugs in, I could hear Tyler Connolly having a hard time staying on key. My son turned to me, grimacing, “They sound bad.” My husband assured me that if we were sitting elsewhere, it would have sounded better. Truthfully, the band sounded great, it was the singing that was very surprising. After singing along with him in the car countless times, it was hard to believe this is the same guy singing By The Way on my cd.  If Simon were there, I think he would have unplugged his mike. On the upside, these boys don’t lip sync…

What added to the ridiculousness was Connolly's pick-tossing.  In a movement I can only describe as "Johnny Bravo-like" he tossed about 3 picks out to the crowd per song.  Nice gesture I guess, but super cheesy.  I expected him to wink and snap his fingers at each and every one of us.  Ugh.

How was Daughtry? I guess you could say flawless. He’s not exactly my style, but my daughter thought he was great.

No comments:

Post a Comment